Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

One thing that I've been hunting for is the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. Not too cakey...not too crunchy. We have had an example when we bought cookies from the Albertson's bakery. Their chocolate chip cookies had just the right amount of crunchiness outside and chewiness inside and the perfect ratio of chips to cookie. Alas, so far I have not been able to get ahold of this secret recipe. So I've been trying to crack it myself. I've come across a recipe that's ALMOST right. These cookies might not be exactly what Albertson's bakes, nonetheless, they're fabulous cookies. They're irresistable right out of the oven (I had to keep swatting my husband away from the pan). The next day, they're still fabulous...maybe even better. Even a few days later (if there are any left), they're still delicious.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
(credit to The Best Recipe)

Ingredients:
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) butter, melted and cooled until just warm to the touch
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together butter and sugars. Beat in the egg, yolk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, followed by chocolate chips. Drop by scant 1/4 cups onto baking sheet and pat lightly so the cookie is an even thickness, not a ball shape.

Bake at 325F for 15-17 minutes, until just turning light brown all over. The edges should only be slightly more brown, if at all, than the rest of the cookie. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet before removing.
Makes 18-24 large cookies.

*Notes: I increased the salt slightly to about 1 1/2 teaspoons. Using salted butter would be yummy too, just leave out the salt in the recipe. Just whatever you do, don't overbake them. Just like most cookies, take them out when you think they might not be quite done yet, and they'll be perfect! We also tested making a smaller version of the cookie, since the recipe makes big, honkin' cookies. I just used a tablespoon of dough for each cookie and baked them for about 12 minutes.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Can I just say YUMMO!! I am trying those tomorrow. I don't like to bake, but I do like the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie!! Christina